Monday, November 28, 2011

Misguided Love?

                I love my family.  I live in another state so I don’t see them as much as should or could but I love them.  And I know they love and support me regardless of what I do.  If they found out about my travels to other worlds, they would still support me even if they knew all of the details.  If I quit being an accountant and started serving drinks at the local bar they would still love and support me.  Don’t get me wrong, this is a wonderful thing.  I think we each need this sanity in our busy lives and we each, in turn, try to return the sentiment to our own family members.
                However, some of my travels have led me to cross paths with some nasty creatures on nasty planets.  That got me thinking.  Let’s just take here on Earth as an example.  Don’t murderers, rapists, and dictators have families too?  What does a dictator’s mom say when she sees her son?  “I love you dear.  You are such a powerful man.  Your genocide plan is ahead of schedule.  Your father would be so proud of you if he could see you today.” 
                Would this type of support be misguided, misplaced?  Would this be enough to give such a man the strength to continue with evil behavior that the rest of the world is telling him is wrong?  Or is it completely acceptable, even encouraged given our cultural norms?  Everyone wants their own personal support system but does everyone deserve to have one?
                What are your thoughts?  Any comments?

                Clark

6 comments:

  1. Love the thoughts of the dictator's mother. lol Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you M Pax. I had fun with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unconditional love! We love the person but not their actions. And there has to be consequences for their actions. But we don't stop loving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! But I wonder, is there a limit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a limit to misguided support, Clark! But no limit to loving that person.

    ReplyDelete